Saturday, May 29, 2010

Don't Forget!

It has been a full week since Pentecost 2010 and I am still thinking about
Stephen and the inspired answer to his accusers found in Acts 7. True to
the words of the Prophet Isaiah, Stephen responded by first "looking unto
Abraham" (Isaiah 51:2), next weaving through the history of his people to
close with the following verse:

Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist
the Holy Ghost: as your fathers [did], so [do] ye. (Acts 7:51)

I take that verse personally. So much so that in my last message from Day
49 of the Feast of Weeks I asked the following:

Am I, Stephen, resisting The Holy Spirit?

Yes.

How became very clear from Matt Steel's split-sermon today.

How, for me, is found (in part) thanks to Peter:

In his 2nd Epistle Peter states the following:

Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and
election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: (2nd Peter
1:10)

Notice he says "these things". What "things"? I'll let you read them in
verses 5 through 9.

What really hit me today is found in verse 9:

But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and
hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

I know I am lacking and will continue to lack until the days of the
earthen vessel are over and I have breathed out my last borrowed breath…
but as I survey my life, my responses, my actions, my words, and my deeds,
I have to be honest and confess that I have spent too much time, effort,
and energy responding to life as though I have forgotten!

Too often I resurrect the old man of sin, that old wretchedness destroyed
in Christ Jesus and turn over my reactions and responses exactly like one
who has forgotten… forgotten that I have been purged from my old sins. I
want to thank Peter (and Matt) for putting me in remembrance! (2nd Peter
1:13)

Thanks brothers for putting me in remembrance that we are truly
transformed and our minds have been renewed! Even though the Days of
Unleavened Bread are well behind us there is still daily "purging" – that
operation of Grace offered by the indwelling presence of our Maker! To be
renewed, to be transformed, and to be filled with what Curt Whiteley
recently preached on: "The Joy of the Lord's Salvation!"

I encourage you to listen to these 2 messages:

Matt Steel – "Running for Office"
http://www.tulsachurchofgod.net/messages/2010/10-05-29-MS.wma

Curt Whiteley – "The Joy of the Lord's Salvation"
http://www.tulsachurchofgod.net/messages/2010/10-05-15-CW.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment